So your brother gave you a big egg for your birthday? And without doing it deliberately, did you let it hatch, and now you find yourself with a dragon ? Don’t panic ! Come and see the Targaryen people, they will help you. Here at HI-COM, we have prepared a little guide for you on the basics of High Valyrian so you can impress your future family!
What is Valyrian?
Valyrian languages are languages that feature in the “A Song of Ice and Fire” saga by George RR Martin, and were developed in more detail in the series adaptation “Game of Thrones“. Linguist David J. Peterson is the man behind the High Valyrian language, as well as languages deriving from it such as Astapori and Meereenese Valyrian. It was inspired by excerpts from novels and existing languages such as Arabic.
High Valyrian is the ancient language of the eastern continent of Essos. Much of Essos has already been dominated by the Valyrians for thousands of years, stretching from free towns in the west to Slaver’s Bay to the east. The Valyrians forced the people they enslaved to speak (or at least to converse in) their language.
- Hello! : Rytsas!
- Thank you Kirimvosis (or kirimvos , pronounced: “Key-RIM-voh-say”, you have to roll the “R”)
- Goodbye: Geros ilas!
- Please: Kostilus.
- How is it going? : Skorkydoso glaesā?
- I’m fine: Syrī glaesan.
- What’s your name? Skoroso jemēle brōzā?
- My name is… : … brōziks
To educate your dragons:
- Dragon’s fire: Drakarys (“drah-kah-ris”)
- Where are my dragons? Skoriot ñuhyz zaldrīzesse ilzi?
- Stolen! : Sōvētēs !
- A dragon is not a slave: Zaldrīzes buzdari iksos daor.
- What do we say to the God of death? Skoros morghot vestri ?
Not today: Tubī daor.
- I love you: Avy jorrāelan.
- Will you marry me? Ao ynoma dīnilūks ?
Because you have to be familiar with the cult phrases:
- The night is dark and full of terrors : Kesrio syt bantis zōbrie issa se ossȳngnoti lēdys.
- You don’t know anything, Jon Snow: Daoruni gīmī, Ionos Sōnaro.
- A Lannister always pays his debts: Lannister va moriot zȳha gēlȳnī addemmis.
- All men must die : Valar morghūlis
(pronounced: val-are mor-goo-lis), in the sense “all men must die sooner or later”. The sentence is also a common greeting, especially to Braavos and especially among the guild of assassins known as the Faceless Men. When used as a greeting, it is answered with the expression ” Valar dohaeris “, which translates as “all men must serve “.
If you happen to meet Daenerys:
- I would fight and die for your glory, O Glorious Queen: Aōhor jaqiarzir ivīlībin imorghūlīn, jaqiarzus Dārȳs.
With whom can you speak Haut Valyrien?
- Daenerys Targaryen
- Tyrion Lannister
Fun facts about High Valyrian:
- The language uses 4 different kinds: lunar, solar, terrestrial and aquatic. The names of humans are usually lunar, occupations and body parts are typically solar, food and plants are mostly terrestrial, and liquids are aquatic. Gender will determine how other aspects of the language will be treated. The word for he / she, for example, may be different depending on the genre of the subject.
- You can learn to speak High Valyrian on Duolingo .
- Daenerys Targaryen strategically mixes High and Low Valyrian.
Here you are now ready to educate dragons and live among the Targaryen people. Feel free to share this article with your friends and family !