Certified translation in China: 9 cases when you need it

Everyone living abroad will at one point or another be in need of certified translation services. Here is a list of situations when one will need to call a recognized translation company such as HI-COM Translation.

  1. Chinese work permit

When applying for a work permit, there are several documents that need to be provided to the Chinese authorities, many of which need to be translated.

The documents to be translated are as follows: letters of recommendation from former employers; curriculum vitae; diplomas and grade cards; criminal record note.

  1.  1000 Internships visa

This type of visa is issued to a limited number of young French students, allowing them to complete an internship in China. With this visa it is only possible to obtain a work permit + category C resident permit. The duration of the internship ranges from 3 to 6 months. Only students enrolled at a French higher education institution can apply.

France considers the intern as a trainee, and China considers the intern as a short-term employee. Thus, pay is mandatory. The visa allows student travel to and from China. The procedure is almost as complex as that of a work visa.

First step: send the documents to the company located in China, which will most often require translation into Chinese. The essential documents to translate are the criminal record and the internship agreement.

The following steps are similar to the work visa: registration by the company at the Labor Bureau, then visa application in France, then definitive registration after the medical tests in China as well as application for the Resident Permit.

Download 1000 Internships Visa Guide 


  1. Certified translation for a Loan application

As a part of a mortgage application in France from China, it is necessary to provide many bank statements and pay slips. It will be necessary to translate these documents.

Pay slips, account statements, Chinese tax slips: all the usual documents required for a bank loan must be translated and certified by a certified translation agency.

  1. Registration at an American School

Often families want their children to be immersed in an international environment to better prepare for their expatriate lives and to learn English easily in addition to their mother tongue. One solution is to enrol the child at an American school.

The necessary documents, often to translate to English are as follows: proof of affiliation between parents and children, previous recommendations in mathematics, English, etc., certificate of schooling if a child attended a school beforehand, and sometimes certificates of vaccination of certain diseases.

  1. Health book

Any intervention in a hospital in China may require having a child’s health record to present to the doctors and facilitate their work.

Naturally, a health booklet in French (or other foreign language) will not be useful, which is why it is recommended to have the health book translated into Chinese beforehand in order to prevent problematic situations.

  1. Business license translation

In various situations, especially when a company registered in China seeks to advertise abroad or to apply for any program abroad, it is necessary to have the commercial license translated.

A call for tenders from a European institution? It will therefore be necessary beforehand to have the commercial license translated into the relevant European language or English. A sworn translation is required.

  1. Marriage certificate certified translation

Example of a Franco-Chinese marriage:

In order to carry out a legalization procedure to obtain the opposability of a divorce in France (to be obtained beforehand in China), it was necessary to request several translations of documents including the Chinese marriage certificate.

From Chinese to French

The said documents were requested by the chamber of notaries of Chaozhou to set up a legalization file for the Waiban, and this before the transmission of documents to the consulate of France.

  1. Registration at a Chinese University

In order to register at a Chinese university, it is necessary to provide some documents translated from French / English into Chinese. Certified translation is required in this case.

There is often mention of a degree in partnership with French universities, which can facilitate procedures.

However, even within the framework of a partnership, the direct classical application is common and it is there where you may be asked to provide the translation of transcripts and diplomas in digital format as well as the application file.

Also it is necessary to present the original documents and the translations often on the day of the physical arrival at the university

  1. Driving license

Chinese-French driving license:

A French employer in China wishing to send his Chinese employee to France, who needs to be able to drive regularly. Here one must request for a certified translation of the Chinese license into French.

After the translation, the Chinese license shall be enrolled on a government site for verification.

If the translation seems correct to the authorities, no notification is made. Now it is possible to drive in France with the translated license to be presented in the event of a police check.

This equivalence is only valid for a certain time. As a permit becomes a virtual point license it is  only valid for one year after. After that, it is necessary to exchange it for a French license.

driving license in china

Step by step guide to driving license exchange in Shanghai, China

French-Australian (Canadian, American) driving license:

Example of French tourists traveling in Australia (or other English-speaking countries driving on the same side as Australia).

It is simply necessary to have a certified translation of the French driver’s license into English and then keep it printed, to present it to the local authorities in case of control.

It’s that simple.

Difference between Sworn Translation in France and Notarized Translation in China

Sworn translation in France:

A sworn translation is a translation made by a translator who has taken an oath before a Tribunal. The sworn translator affixes his stamp on the document. A sworn translation is therefore recognized as an official document by the courts and the administration.

A sworn translation is required for many administrative documents such as civil status documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate …), extracts from the Chamber of Commerce, legal judgments, diplomas …

Notarized translation in China:

A notarized translation is necessary in the case of a document of Chinese origin and of an official nature.

A notarized translation in China is essentially the same as a certified translation, but with an extra step: the translation company must sign the declaration of certification in front of a notary.

It is important to note that the notary’s stamp and signature notarizes the certification, not the content of the translation itself, as it is unlikely that the notary will understand the language in which the original text is presented. Therefore, the translation agency is not liable for damages in case of incorrect translation.

Still not sure what type of translation do you need? Shoot us a line! Our managers will be happy to help you!

Kate CHERNAVINACertified translation in China: 9 cases when you need it

Related Posts